VP of Engineering, DLVR
The global video economy is in transition from primarily television to entirely Internet and mobile. What hasn’t changed is the importance of compelling stories and uninterrupted viewing experiences. The Internet hasn’t delivered on that last part – yet. We intend to change that, and we are building the global platform that will do it.
Role and Responsibilities
The VP of Engineering will be responsible for the continued development and delivery of DLVR’s cloud services. In organizational terms, this means:
- working with the CEO, co-founders, and VP of Product to translate market/customer requirements into a deliverable roadmap that leads to a world-class platform at scale
- establishing and executing processes that turn the roadmap into reality
- leading the company’s current team of seven outstanding software engineers and recruiting and hiring more such engineers to join our team
- fostering a culture of mutual respect, high performance, and attention to detail
Said differently: everyone at DLVR shares the goal of doing the best work of our careers, each of us individually and all of us collectively as a team – and our VP of Engineering will lead the technical dimension of that effort. This means thinking big and thinking deeply, innovating and distilling, listening and leading, all from both the head and the heart.
- B.S. or M.S. in Computer Science or equivalent
- 10+ years in an engineering role in the software industry, with significant experience both as an individual contributor and as the leader of engineering teams
- Experience managing teams responsible for large-scale SaaS, Internet video, and/or CDN products and services
- Strong knowledge of technologies such as: Elasticsearch, Redis, MySQL, Tengine/Nginx, C++, Java, Go, as well as AWS services such as Lambda, Kinesis, DynamoDB, and Redshift
- Deep experience with Internet video, including HLS and/or DASH, is a significant plus
- Strong written and verbal communication skills
- A passion for technology, for people, and for discovery
DLVR is headquartered in Phoenix, Arizona, with a second location in Seattle, Washington. While we will consider candidates located in our hometown, we think our VP of Engineering should work from our Seattle location, because we believe that is where much of our future growth in software engineering headcount will be.
This is a great opportunity for the right candidate. Financially, it comes with a significant equity opportunity; professionally, it is a chance to make a real difference in an industry that touches every one of our friends and neighbors. Stories are how people communicate, relate, and identify, and video is the most powerful storytelling medium ever invented. As a group, we are passionate, committed, and fun to be around … not that we don’t have our personality quirks, because we do … and we’re building something lasting and great. Are you the team leader we’re looking for?
DLVR is an equal opportunity employer and we value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, religion, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status, and we do not tolerate sexual (or any other) harassment.